Re: Artist question?

Achilles <maos@gbl.com.br> writes:

> But then, of course, we noticed that the borders of the actual
> sprite appear on the final blitted image, obviously because those
> very pixels don't exactly match the colorkey value, but are very
> close to that, making the final result look actualy very ugly
> indeed, so here's the question: can we get that out with just simple
> artwork, or do we need something like an alpha component to make it
> work ? BTW, we're using 16bpp for color depth.

For you existing images, you have to remove the border manually,
simply fill the colorkey color with another color so that you can then
see border and remove it. Another method is to use Gimp's "Select by
Color" with a large "Fuzzy Threshold" on the color key color, but the
results will always require manuell tweeking.

For new images all you have to do is to do is to paint them on a
transparent layer rather than on a colorkey filled one. The final
image than has an alpha channel which you can easily remove ("Convert
to Indexed" and "Flatten Image") and replace it with a colorkey.

When your images start as black&white paper sketches, you can use a
simple Gimp script to remove all the white color from the image and
replace them with transparency:

 * http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/gimp/script-fu/scripts/black-white-to-trans.scm

--
ICQ: 59461927                                      http://www.pingus.cx |