Re: simple 3d modeler

On Thursday 14 April 2005 11:33, Adam D. Moss wrote:
> Incidentally, is there any interest in a C library which
> extracts all sorts of data (including, of course, meshes) from
> .blend files?  I wrote such a thing a year or two ago for the
> various (upcoming :)) www.steambird.com games and always intended
> to release it, though Blender's Python API got good enough in the
> meantime to make it somewhat redundant unless you want to grab
> a data structure that the Python API doesn't expose (or you
> don't like Python :) ).

I've maintained one as part of blend2cs a while ago. That program is still
maintained by the Crystal Space devs. The project page is at
http://projects.blender.org/projects/blend2cs. I strongly suggest that you
base a lib for parsing blend files either on that dna parser from blend2cs,
which is tested very well or on the original blender sources. Everything else
is purely insane and almost impossible to get right because .blend files are
data dumps right out of blenders memory along with a description of the data
structures that particular version of blender uses.

> --Adam

Regards,
Gregor