Having problems with getting Nvidia hardware to work...

OK, I've got a box with a GeForce2 in it. I'm testing out whether
debian is a good platform for supporting it.

I've installed Mesa. I've installed Glut. I've installed nvidia's X drivers.

When I run "glxgears" (which arrived as a binary), it fires up,
whizzes along and produces results which can only really have come
from the hardware renderer. Hurrah!

"glxinfo" (similarly arrived as a binary), says I have a GeForce2 and
lists a load of extensions and modes. Fine so far.

To check I can build OpenGL apps, I get a copy of the glxgears source
and compile it... and I get a blank window. I also get 3 times the
performance, which seems suspect.

So I write up a basic OpenGL tester (clear the window to a random
colour, basically) and ... blank window.

So make sure I'm talking to the right driver I put a call to
glXQueryServerString()... and things start working...

I find that ANY call to a glX function in the execution causes
rendering to work. Including just a "glXGetCurrentDisplay" after the
glut init.

Now, this smells like a linking issue, but I can't figure out where to start looking for it.... Anyone else come across anything like this?