Re: Having problems with getting Nvidia hardware to work...

On Thursday 21 April 2005 10:30, Katie Lucas wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 05:33:28PM -0700, Steve Baker wrote:
> > Katie Lucas wrote:
> > >OK, I've got a box with a GeForce2 in it. I'm testing out whether
> > >debian is a good platform for supporting it.
> > >
> > >I've installed Mesa. I've installed Glut. I've installed nvidia's X
> > >drivers.
> >
> > Don't install Mesa.  Mesa is the driver of last resort if a 'real' OpenGL
> > implementation does not exist.
> >
> > Uninstall Mesa - then go to www.nvidia.com head over to downloads and
> > install
> > their Linux drivers.
>
> I thought I had to install Mesa first to get the OpenGL header files?
>
> Or do they come in one of the Nvidia packages I've missed?

Nvidia packages own OpenGL header files with the drivers which also contain
all neccessary symbols for Nvidia extensions in addition to the standard
features. Unless you use these extensions it won't make a lot of difference
which headers are actually installed in the system.

Regards,
Gregor