Re: Call For Articles

On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 09:57:12AM +0200, Ingo Ruhnke wrote:
> BTW: How does CIV:CtP handles the directories, installation,
>      packaging, libc5/libc6 throuble, etc.?

Civ:CTP does not work under libc5 (which caused me to upgrade to glibc2
myself, quite a cool experience).

Although there is a install script in Tcl, the installation is quite simple:

There's two program packages, one for glibc 2.0 and one for 2.1, both
extracting into CivCTP/, as well as a data package also extracting in
CivCTP/.

The adviced CivCTP dir is /usr/local/games/CivCTP, I think otherwise the
game won't work. The videos (/cdrom/runtime) can be copied into this
directory as well if you have the harddrive space.

I assume the install prog does the same, although it prompts you where you
want to install (but it could just make /usr/local/games/CivCTP a symlink to
the real dir of course). What worked for me:

cd /usr/local/games
tar xzvf /cdrom/CivCTP-glibc-2.0.tar.gz
tar xzvf /cdrom/CivCTP-data.tar.gz
cp -rv /cdrom/runtime CivCTP/

(I might be a bit off here, doing this from the head, not at home with the
cdrom)

Anyway: trust me that you lose a lot more time on playing than on
installing. ;-)

Grtz, Rob
--
Rob Kaper | mail: cap@capsi.com + cap@capsi.net + cap@capsi.cx