Re: Why code your own library?

Pedro Medeiros wrote:

> >That's OK for binary distributions - but for source distributions,
> >it's hopeless. How would I make a self-extracting executable
> >for all of x86, Alpha, PowerPC, MIPS, SPARC, etc?
>
>  Yes, I was thinking about that. That's why it
> could only be a binary distribution. But, instead
> of shar utils, what if we had something for real
> lamers? Instead of a huge script, a program
> that runs on X, like an rWin installation wizard,
> or ncurses. Maybe tcl/tk is a good idea.

...because adding another program just adds yet another step,
the problem that *that* program has to be installed, etc, etc.

There is nothing that is needed that couldn't be handled by
a simple shell script.

Hence this scheme could be implemented one project at a time
and would (hopefully) ceome popular by it's self-evident
simplicity.

--
Steve Baker                  http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1
sjbaker1@airmail.net (home)  http://www.woodsoup.org/~sbaker