Re: profiling howto/info

On 27-Aug-99 Damian Gryski wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 27, 1999 at 01:45:42PM +0200, Ingo Ruhnke wrote:
>> Erik <br0ke@math.smsu.edu> writes:
>>
>> > Is there a good article/tutorial/howto to read up on profiling? I've seen
>> > profiling macros used in code before, but I'm not clear on the
>> > implementation.
>>
>> What about:
>>
>> $ info gprof

Exactly what I needed to know :) thanks

>    For profiling, I have lcc installed.  lcc is the free
> compiler from princeton (http://www.cs.princeton.edu/lcc) that's
> used in the gaming mod community a lot.  Anyways, lcc's
> profile prints line usage counts, which I don't think gprof can.
> (If I'm wrong, *please* somebody tell me..)

reading the gprof info page, it says it can do line by line, if the debugging
info (-g) is also included.

>    Of course, the other advantage of using lcc for profiling
> is forcing me to make sure that it compiles cleanly under both
> gcc and lcc.  Since they both complain about slightly different
> things (lcc spits out somethings gcc -Wall doesn't),  I use
> lcc before I use lint (which I must also stress is a very
> important development tool)
>
>    Damian
>
> --
> Damian Gryski ==> dgryski@uwaterloo.ca | Linux, the choice of a GNU
> generation
> 512 pt Hacker Test score = 24%         | 500 pt Nerd Test score = 44.6%
>          geek / linux zealot / coder / juggler / sysadmin

thanks for the responses, I was sitting here thinking ya need to find some
special library and learn some new api to do it, I guess I can be pretty
ignorant at times :) I saw profiling stuff in xracers source and I guess I
jumped to a conclusion? Ah well, I think I'm well on my way now :) Thanks

        -Erik <br0ke@math.smsu.edu> [http://shells.clipboard.com/~br0ke]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all
probability, they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore
may result in severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep
Refrigerated.