Re: Static Linking Throuble with OpenGL

On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 04:35:12PM +0200, Ingo Ruhnke wrote:

> The problem is that if I link dynamic against the GL libs, that I also
> have to dynamic link against libc. Which makes the binary unusable on
> systems that have an older version of libc around than I have. Beside
> that dynamic linking against GL seems to work fine, but the libc issue
> doesn't really make it a useable solution if the resulting binary will
> only work on 50% of the systems out there.

Binary compatability with glibc2 only works one way.  If you try and run a
binary with a glibc2 that is too old it will simply fail with an error like:

/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found

And statically linking against glibc2 is also not a good idea.
Because things get messy if they use the nss.

--
Christopher John Purnell  | I thought I'd found a reason to live
http://www.lost.org.uk/   | Just like before when I was a child