Re: Idle? We could need some help...

>>>>> "Gregor" == Gregor Mueckl <GregorMueckl@gmx.de> writes:

 Gregor> artists on our team we lack programming manpower to keep up
 Gregor> with them (no joking here :-). So all I want to say is: we
 Gregor> could need help with certain things.

I think you are the first to have this problem - it's usually the
other way around ;)

 Gregor> First of all we could need a working network abstraction
 Gregor> layer running at least on Windows and Linux and providing a
 Gregor> unified low level interface to TCP and UDP. Is there any Open
 Gregor> Source library out there capable of this?

SDL has a cross platform network abstraction layer called SDL_net
(http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_net/index.html). I haven't tried
it myself though.

 Gregor> Second, what about good, high-quality video codecs? I have so
 Gregor> far found none that is both high-quality and not bound to any
 Gregor> patenting/licencing issues that could make us pay (especially
 Gregor> MPEG2/MPEG4, which we therefore cannot use at all).

What about old mpeg1 - or isn't that high quality enough? Ogg Tarkin
also looks promising.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard