OpenGL vs. SDL for 2D

Hello,

I'd like to ask if it is possible to achieve better 2D performance (i.e. plain sprite blitting) by using OpenGL/Mesa instead of using SDL on a decent 3D graphics card? I know the inconvenience of using special dimensions for the sprites under OpenGL/DirectX, but it does not really matter these days, does it? Also, older hardware would not be supported, but if a considerable performance boost is possible, that wouldn't matter, too.

Any useful comments would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.