Re: Is Linuxgames still alive?

Bert Peers schrieb:
> days, and if a site can explain how all the Linux equivalents of
> common Windows rip-offs^H^H^H^H^H^H^H OS-concepts
> like multithreading, networking etc work, it'd be a MAJOR hit.
>
>  For example, I'm part of a team working on a really big game,
> ie the 'real' thing with publishers and marketing and the whole
> booha.  It's about multithreading, using DirectPlay for
> networking ...
> SDKs can help here, but again don't deliver actual insight,
> and may be too restrictive in their licensing (ie, GPL = no go)

For what it's worth, I've been working on a portable
game networking library for some time now.  The interface
is rather like Direct Play (in fact, I thought of calling
it FauxPlay for a while :-), and programmers report that it's
fairly easy to switch to my API from DirectPlay.
We've shipped ten or so games using it, on DOS, Win95,
MacOS, and soon (thanks to Loki) Linux, and it's
starting to look like a pretty solid system.
My company, Activision, is considering going open source
with this library.  We haven't picked the license terms yet.
I'm leaning towards the Mozilla Public
License, because the company does want to be able to
offer an unencumbered version of the library
to companies that can't deal with GPL / don't want to
publish their games' sources.

Bert, do you think that's the right license?
- Dan

--
Speaking only for myself, not for my employer