Re: Debugging GL apps

On 10-Jan-2000 Ingo Ruhnke wrote:
> "Keith Lucas" <klucas@atlan-tech.com> writes:
>
>> I always used to run SVGALIB and GLIDE development stuff with a little
>> doofer in
>> the background that would kill them after 90 seconds. That usually would
>> allow
>> enough time to see if it worked and reset the display and stuff back to
>> usability if things locked up. Failing that, another one would reboot the
>> machine 60 seconds later.
>
> Just wondering, does nobody use the Sys-Rq Key in the 2.2.x Kernels?
> It allow to restore the keyboard mode, killing the programm on the
> current and some more, basically all that is needed to restore a
> locked system.
>
> $ less /usr/src/linux-2.2.14/Documentation/sysrq.txt

I do use it, and it's very useful. It doesn't fix everything. If I blast
something and end up with a dead program and stuck in ogl mode, then it won't
help me at all. If starcraft (wine, dga) dies on me, my keyboard is locked and
I'm in fullscreen mode. I can recover the keyboard with sysrq, but the video
thing doesn't fix my vc's. I can use X and it's fine, but I LIKE my vc's. The
joystick hack lets me get my consoles back immediately and painlessly :)
(strangly enough, if I wait a while, I get my keyboard back and can fully
recover, but I'm not that patient)