Re: The future of C/C++

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Benjamin J Cummings wrote:

>On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Achilles wrote:
>
>> 	He then went on talking about new projects using primarily Java,
>> stating that the language was still very slow, regarding performance,
>> but that it would soon change, suggesting that C/C++ were near an "end".
>
>This does seem to be the feeling around my university, too.  However, i
>think this is a bit of an exaggeration.  I think what's happening now is
>more a diversification of lanugages, rather than a full replacement.  I
>could be wrong, anyway.

Same here too, but this has mainly to do with cluelessness... Most
professors & research personnell can't do anything useful in C/C++. Most
have heard of the weak things in C/C++ so that they can preach other
languages, such as Java.

Java is good, but will never be *the* language for doing all tasks that
C/C++ can be used fo right now.