Re: The future of C/C++

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Achilles wrote:

> 	He then went on talking about new projects using primarily Java,
> stating that the language was still very slow, regarding performance,
> but that it would soon change, suggesting that C/C++ were near an "end".

This does seem to be the feeling around my university, too.  However, i
think this is a bit of an exaggeration.  I think what's happening now is
more a diversification of lanugages, rather than a full replacement.  I
could be wrong, anyway.

> 	I'd like to know your opinion about this: what do you think? Is Java
> really going to replace C/C++, once it solves it's performance problems?
> Is it stupid to start new projects today using C/C++ rather than other

Lets pretend, for a moment, that C++ is dying.  What's the problem with
developing in it?  All the toolkits are still written for C and C++, so
you won't have a support issue in the near future.  The quality of the
compilers isn't going to deterierate as fewer people use them, so what's
the problem?  If you were so inclined and you had the libraries, you could
write a game inc COBOL, if it were your cup of tea.

However, if you like Java and speed is the only thing stopping you from
using it, then i suggest mixing Java (compiled or not-- compiled Java is
fairly quick) and C++.  I haven't done this myself, but i hear you can get
some decent results.

-ben.c