Re: Loki...

Steve Baker wrote:

> fun in.  Good game levels fall somewhere between those two extremes.  You'd
> like to be able to write a drama in which the player takes a part - because
> then you can make it as exciting as you want - but if you don't provide
> the player ways to make mistakes, ways to explore, the possibility of him
> inventing a new solution - then it's a movie and not a game at all.

This may or may not be interesting food for thought:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=21&t=000128&p=

This is a thread on the Cassandra Project public forums (TCP is a DeusEx mod
headed by Kieron Gillen (I think that's the right spelling) one of PC Gamer
UK's writers). When Witchboy posted his thoughts on game design we got
involved in a fairly lengthy discussion about non-linearity, scripting and
emergent  gameplay. Some it is just a bit of an argument (that's just the
way a few of them are on there) but you may find some of the points
interesting. Or not. I found the whole thing fairly interesting anyway.

Chris
--
=[     Explorer2260, Designer and Coder     \=\ P: TexMaker, ROACH, site \