Low volume with OpenAL

Hi,

I'm trying to use OpenAL with my current project. I have sounds playing
but I get a very low volume compared to playing the wav files with a
player like esdplay. I can't find any global openal volume settings and
I've tried with different gains, both on listener and sources. When I
set gain to below 1.0 it's more quiet, but setting it to more than 1.0
(i've tried with 2.0 and 100.0) doesn't play it any louder!

And I am a little confused about the state of OpenAL. Do you think it's
here to stay or should I some other sound library?

--
Jonatan Magnusson <barfota@samvetet.lu.se>
Phoenix Data