Re: The Artists thing

Steve Baker wrote:

>> desperately we/they need artists, but when it came to the point of
>> actively *doing* something about it - silence.
>
>Well, the bottom line was that we couldn't *think* of anything to do.
>
>We made a mailing list - just in case we could find some artistic
>types to talk on it - but agreed that it would be better if we
>programmer types just lurked and listened until we had heard
>what the artists might have to say.
>
>However, so far, no artists.
>
>I don't think we even really know where to advertise the list so
>people will sign on to it.

Ok, let's look into that:

1) Where are artists that have experience in computer art & are propably
willing to help?

2d Graphics: gimp.org, themes.org, eventually web design sites, generic
gfx artist sites, POVRay scene

3d Graphics: POVRay scene, Quake (& other FPS) level/mod scenes, generic
gfx artist sites

Sound: unknown

Game & level design : gamedev.net, gamasutra.com, FPS level/mod scenes

2) What are our goals with this?

We want to start a discussion about what would attract them to helping
us & what's annoying them right now.
We want to make them aware of our situation and our "scene".

3) What is our message to them?

- We need artists, and we'll do very much to accommodate them (expr?).
- We're aware that the current practice of giving the coders all credit is
bad, and we're very willing to change that.
- The open source community is a nice place not only for coders but also
(especially) for artists. There isn't much difference between the people
who try to write beautiful code and those who try to paint beautiful
images, between the ones designing elegant software and the ones
designing fascinating & well-balanced gameplay.

4) How can we get that across ?

My suggestion:

We write an article, post it on the site and tell many, many sites read
by artists about it, so that they link to it / mention it.
Some example sites: gimp.org, planet(quake|halflife|...).com, themes.org,
gamasutra.com, gamedev.net, povray.org, linuxgames.com, some more

Eventually it's good to let other Linux game developers/projects "sign"
their article or add comments (to add some visible momentum).

For the content of the article the "artists" thread should be harvested.
IIRC there were quite some good points in there.

Ok, is there still something missing?

--
Christian Reiniger
Coordinator, LGDC (http://sunsite.auc.dk/lgdc/)

"use the source, luke." (obi-wan gnuobi)