Re: Poll ideas?

On Sat, 24 Jun 2000, Philipp Guehring wrote:

>TO ALL THE LONE PROGRAMMERS OUT THERE: Stop trying to create your own
>project, your own little Tetris, your own little Defkon, your own whatever.
>Stop it now, if it isnīt already successful. Letīs come together and work
>together. Donīt start your own new project.

No. This is not how it works. I for one want to continue on my projects.
They may not lead that far and often don't get completed, but they teach
me a lot of useful things. I have been able to learn through my mistakes
in non-critical projects where failure due to bad design or code isn't
too serious. I have been able to avoid doing the same mistakes in
important projects. But I still do games, or try to do them, as there is a
serious lack of strategic games for Linux (and Windows too for that
matter). One day I will complete a game and will be played be someone. I
will start new projects when I want to.

But, you are right in that projects with more people behind them have a
higher chance of success. But projects with more people often aim a lot
higher, and fail due to the complexity. A successful project I think
involves a few people (preferably friends that know eachother and can meet
face to face) that work on something they love, with a good design and who
start simple. If it works out they will extend the game. They don't want
to implement everything at once.

Just my silly contribution to the discussion. :-)