Re: Tux Racer 0.10 Released

Hi

Steve: please don't take our mails as hostile. We are just honest I
think.

I myself did not send any reports to you about buggy/hard installation,
since there are TONS of projects out there. If I had to report things
that do not work on each and every one of them, I would not have time to
do anything else.

It is like going to the bookshop. Millions of books. You judge the book
by a cover + an teaser text. I have surely put lots of good books back
on the shelf because of that.

With the games you then also have to figure out how to "get the book
unlocked, so that you can start reading". If this is really hard, the
book goes back to the shelf. If I get in and see some nice pictures, a
good story, I will buy it and read it.

The typical way I check out a new game/application/whatever is:

* read about it on linuxgames (or one of the other ones)

* go to the webpage (if webpage is "pro" or has nice screenshots, then I
will try it. If the webpage is shitty, I will only try the software if
it sound REALLY good)

* if I can install easy (using RPM) I will try it, run it and remove if
I don't like it

* if I have to compile I give it a one shot. I will rather use a
packaged binary to not clutter up my system with obscure libs that I
have a hard way to remove again

* If either does not work more or less first time, I move on to
something else - without sending a bug report

* If I get the program running and it looks OK, then I will keep it and
send bug reports and the like, because now I am interested in getting it
running as good as possible on my machine

The reason I list this is because I think that is the typical way for a
lot of people.

Would it not be possible to create a binary with static linked plib,
SDL, whatever lib is needed? Possibly except Mesa, since that is usually
system dependant.

Hope this helps anyone.

Best regards
Thomas