Re: a book or tutorial

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Mark Collins wrote:

> [...]

Yup - even better than John Carmack and Mike Abrash:

Quake System Requirements
-------------------------
IBM PC and Compatibles
Pentium processor or better
VGA Compatible Display or better
8MB RAM minimum, 16MB recommended (16 MB required for running under Win95)
CD-ROM drive Required
MS-DOS 5.0 or better or Windows 95 (does NOT run under Windows NT)
Hard Drive (30MB for Shareware, 80 MB for Registered)

*** IMPORTANT!: Quake requires a floating point processor.
Systems that do not have an FPU installed will not run Quake -- at all.

The above is from the original Quake "readme.txt"

And, from "techinfo.txt":
Performance
-----------

Quake's graphics should be adequately fast in mode 0 (320x200) on all
Pentium-class machines.

Video Bug Reporting
-------------------

If you encounter a video-related bug, please fill out the form found at
the end of this file and e-mail it to support@idsoftware.com.  There are
several problems that are not bugs, and shouldn't be reported, including:

* sluggish performance on 486s

By the way, a good 486 machine works nicely as dedicated server.

And, now I guess I am about as off topic as I dare go.

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg.                               madsdyd@challenge.dk
Sending Blizzard 100,000 e-mails isn't going to get Starcraft ported to

            - Scott Draeker, Loki soft, on advocating for Linux games.