Re: Obsolete libraries

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 05:55:33PM +0100, Francesco Orsenigo wrote:

> Worried about console obsolescence, i decided to switch to GLUT.
> While crawling around the net for troubleshooting, i discovered that glut is
> no more developed since about 2000, while the freeglut project stopped in
> 2001.
> The question is: does it make sense to begin a project based on GLUT, or the
> best solutions are still ALLEGRO and SDL?
>
> I suppose many people here are creating linux games.
> Then i'd like to know what are they using for the basic IO.

I think this had come up before, and I suspect it will innevitably descend
into a flame war, so I will dive in with a quick opinion first.

I use SDL instead of GLUT. It provides a clean way of creating a window
or fullscreen context portably, without taking away control of the
application main loop, and allows you to use the same API for
IO, Sound and others for both 2D and 3D graphics.

Al
--
Alistair Riddoch
alriddoch@zepler.org