Re: Why not to fear LGD.. - heading for final draft.

--- Bert Peers <rat@larian.com> wrote:

> Johnny Taporg wrote:
>
> > Err, um... I'll go a step further.  A poll on
> slashdot
> > is, scientifically speaking, a very uncredible
> study.
> > Mentioning the poll works fine for evangelical
> > purposes, but isn't particularly useful for
> convincing
> > a skeptical audience.
>
> Hm, I'm not sure about this.

I am. :)

> It would obviously
> give you
> very skewed results if slashdot were a hardcore
> gamers site,
> but it's not.  It's maybe a hardcore linux site, so
> I don't think
> the answers would favor "yes I'll pay for a linux
> game" just
> because those guys would do anything to get a game.
> On the contrary perhaps, the slashdot people are
> strongly
> opposed to anything that's charged for (usually), so
> you would
> actually expect them to say "no cause I don't pay
> for anything".
> The latter "RMS" effect may cancel out your worries
> :^)

A slashdot poll scientifically unsound
study, meaning that you can't draw meaningful
conclusions from it, either way.  So, while the
results
are pleasant sounding, they won't convince a skeptic.

Would you be interested in hearing specific criticisms
of the study, by the way?

-j