Re: Hi everybody!

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> Martin Starch Soerensen wrote:
> >
> > But is this true? In my experience GCC is neither reliable nor powerful.
> > In fact it is only fast (at compiling code), but the generated object code
> > is inferior to almost any other compiler out there (and if you won't take
> > my word for it, take a look at discussions/benchmarks on dejanews from the
> > past). Apart from the quality of the generated object code, it's template
> > support isn't exactly perfect either.
> >
> > Regards
> >         Martin Starch - ClanSoft
>
> I think gcc is reliable and powerfull. I haven't got any problem with
> it, even with the optimisation options. Of course there is more
> performant compilers like egcs or pgcc, but they will fusion in next
> version. What problems do you have with gcc?

I use egcs with linux, and actually thought you were talking about that.
I have not had that many problems with egcs (of course that would
depend on the version!). The problems I have had were mostly related to
problems with exception-handling and use of templates. Of course in the
more recent versions of egcs most of these problems have been adressed,
but I just thought that I would object to calling gcc/egcs a "performant"
compiler when it's not.

Regards
	Martin Starch - ClanSoft