Re: game_for_learning

On 08-Nov-99 Heinz GÖD wrote:
> Hi!
> Christian and Erik, thank You for Your help!
> For the "Linux Community", I am a "dinosaur":
> 55 years old, engineer, have programmed technical problems in FORTRAN and
> BASIC and assembler.

computers are a field where youth has no advantage, except possability a
disregard for traditionally set boundries. I think people who got into
computers before m$ damaged the industry/culture/world 15 yrs ago have a
destinct advantage :)

> To carry out a game project I think I have to learn C++, HTML and some tools
> to create games. In the e-mail

any programming language can be used, C and C++ seem to be choice. I personally
prefer C. Java is pretty good, too. Assembly is probably a bad choice for linux
as you lose architecture portability.

> "Question about game-prog libraries, Date:Tue, 19 Oct 1999 19:51:46 +0200 ,
> From:Andrea Pintori dstar@tin.it>"
> I found: >What library do you think I should use for game-programming under
> linux?(now I'm only interested in
> 2D programming).If Clanlib is the right choice, I'd like to know where can I
> find stdlibc++2.10
> and I'd like to know what is the best choice between ggi, svgalib, X, ecc.<.
> What is the best choice to create
> a snake which is to steer through a labyrinth?

The two 2d api's that've really caught my attention are clanlib and sdl. SDL
seems more mature, and Lokisoft uses it (exclusively? they had the guy who
started it on staff), so it's been given a good beating in public use. Clanlib
is higher level I think, and written in oop style c++. I know there are people
on this list with enough experience to comment intellegently on advantages and
disadvantages of clanlib, probably people who can do the same for sdl, and
maybe some who have experience with both that can compare&contrast? :)

stdlibc++2.10 comes with the 'potato' or unstable release of debain (2.2). If
you're using apt, point it to unstable or potato, update and upgrade. a BETTER
solution would be to download the source to hermes and clanlib and compile them
on your local machine, I think. Both are simple "./configure && make install"
type jobs, and this would give you a library set you know will work on your
system. http://www.clanlib.org is where to get clanlib, and they have a link to
hermes. Plus you get the freshest hottest version (hopefully with the least
bugs).