Re: game_for_learning

Erik wrote:

> On 08-Nov-99 Heinz GÖD wrote:
> > Hi!
> > Christian and Erik, thank You for Your help!
> > For the "Linux Community", I am a "dinosaur":
> > 55 years old, engineer, have programmed technical problems in FORTRAN and
> > BASIC and assembler.
>
> computers are a field where youth has no advantage, except possability a
> disregard for traditionally set boundries. I think people who got into
> computers before m$ damaged the industry/culture/world 15 yrs ago have a
> destinct advantage :)
>
> > To carry out a game project I think I have to learn C++, HTML and some tools
> > to create games. In the e-mail
>
> any programming language can be used, C and C++ seem to be choice. I personally
> prefer C. Java is pretty good, too. Assembly is probably a bad choice for linux
> as you lose architecture portability.

C and C++ are certainly the languages of choice.  Assembler isn't just bad
for Linux - but for any OS.  The instruction sets of modern computers are
so complex and hard to use that it takes considerable skill to use them
well.

C is an easy language to learn though, the hardest problem for someone from
a Fortran/Basic/Asm background is unlearning the bad habits that those
languages force you into.

--
Steve Baker                  http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1
sjbaker1@airmail.net (home)  http://www.woodsoup.org/~sbaker