Re: Linux Game Breeding

At 11:05 PM 11/8/99 +0100, Rob Kaper wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 08, 1999 at 11:10:09PM +0100, Christian Reiniger wrote:
>> Did you follow the thread about mirroring + dynamic content? I still don't
>> know how we can manage this...
>
>1) Mirror only the static content.
>
>2) Have dynamic content in the dbase and generate static pages that get
>   mirrored.

	Or, mirror at sites capable/equiped with MySQL/PHP combos. There are
plenty of such sites that could voluntarily mirror the sunsite.auc.dk site.
All we'd have to do is get the admin to set up a database like the sunsite
one (we wouldn't even need write access, just so long as an automated task
takes care of the mirroring. I will place the SQL to generate the tables on
sunsite.) and then set up any other packages we have. (Chances are that
would be just Phorum.) Download the scripts and you're done! I don't see
the point in mirroring statically...even though such sites as freshmeat.net
apparently do it that way.

	Maybe I am missing something here, as the discussion occured during my
"Dark Ages", but what is the point of having your dynamic content in a db
if you simply use it to generate a bunch of static pages? Are the static
pages found at the mirror site only? Seems like we are making ourselves
more work than necessary, and lose some of the benefits we have by going
dynamic, namely directed threaded forums for each article.

Paul Tiseo
LGDC's webmaster
http://sunsite.auc.dk/linuxgames
ptiseo@mediaone.net