Re: How to best get smooth scrolling in X?

Mads Bondo Dydensborg wrote:

> Subject should be easy, but is it? The requirements are no stuttering and
> no flashing. Is it possible? (Think a newsticker for this question; just
> scrolling a piece of text or an image, across an X window.
>
> SDL does not give me a real doublebuffer. Does OpenGL work correctly in
> software mode or do I need hardware support? Other options? CGI? Xlib
> (shuffer)?

I don't think you get hardware double-buffering in Software-only-Mesa
- but hardware double-buffering works well with most (if not all)
of the 3D accellerators out there.

> This was _really_ easy to do with svgalib. Not so with X?

Well, the trouble is that in X, you don't have the whole screen
to yourself - other programs may also want to be doing
double-buffering and without hardware support for per-window
double-buffering, you are doomed.
HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net
            http://tuxkart.sf.net http://prettypoly.sf.net