Re: c code vs c++ code

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 22:06:24 +0000
Mark Collins <me@thisisnurgle.org.uk> wrote:

> Um, no.
>
> With banks, it's more a case of "HOLY SHIT! That decimal point in the
> wrong place jsut cost us $5 million!", or "SHIT! This outage is
> costing us $5,000 a second. FIX IT NOW!".

> Quite frankly, the reputation of an individual or single company is
> meaningless when the well-being of millions of individuals and
> companies is at risk.

Assuming of course that a) anyone finds out and b) anyone effected goes
to the national press with it. The point is that it happens, it is just
that they make sure few people outside the bank or company know that
(the situation is the same with cracker attacks on bank systems: they
happen many times a day, some even get it, but you never hear about it
in the press.)

Whereas the software written by a games company is seen by as many
people as possible by definition.

Believe me, the software they use internally at least two banks I know
of for certain is utter crap - unusable interfaces (text prompts with
numbers you press for menu options), badly designed, badly written (on
one form if you type one number in incorrectly it returns an error...
and gets rid of all the data you entered on the form too) piles of
rubbish.

Chris