Re: Some questions: OpenGL and free 3D models

Jarda Benkovsky wrote:

> Keith Lucas wrote:
> > How easy is to specify faceted stuff in modelling packages? In fact, if
> > I'm going to get a "proper" package what would people recommend, given that
> > a) I'm not that hot an artist so it won't get that much use and b) cheaper and
> > less featureful would be better than expensive. Oh and c) I'm after design
> > capabilities rather than actual rendering ability.
>
> Blender (www.blender.nl) is mostly free and gives good results. The
> possible
> problem is the UI, which is a bit tricky at first (and at second too).
> But I have bought a manual, so it's a bit better :-)
>
> Also it has IIRC a rather limited set of input/output formats.

I have used AC3D with some success - it's a lot easier to understand
than Blender - but not without problems.  It's a $40 shareware with
a free crippleware demo.

--
Steve Baker                  http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1
sjbaker1@airmail.net (home)  http://www.woodsoup.org/~sbaker