Re: Anyone on this list?

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 04:44:59PM +0000, adam moss wrote:

> It's generally not a problem of people not /liking/ another person's
> game idea.  It's just that game ideas are, as I think Steve said,
> so much cheaper than the originator of such an idea would ever like
> to think, compared with the rest of the work involved.

Ironically, as a game _coder_, I find it embarassingly difficult to come
up with /original/ ideas.  (My collection is mostly remakes of old/classic
games - often those which weren't _already_ cloned for Linux - it's not like
I'm writing Yet Another Tetris ;^) )

> > Lots of words are spent about the `technologies` to use, but linux games
> > have still the appeal of  commodore64 games...

;^)

> Cruel but often true.  :D  Still that's not necessarily bad.  Lots of
> casual Linux gamers (amongst whom I am not) are quite happy with the
> sort of game that you can fire up for 15 minutes and enjoy the raw
> fun gameplay mechanics of eighties-style games, rather than the depth,
> length and variety that's promised (and sometimes even delivered ;))
> by modern commercial games.

Frankly, while I have quite a few (commercial and non-commercial) games for
my Linux box, I almost never play them.

On the other hand, I have a PlayStation 2, PlayStation, Dreamcast,
Atari Jaguar (x2), Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Atari 2600, and Atari Lynx (x2),
as well as my Atari 800 and 800XL computers.

Frankly, the 800XL and the PS2 get the most action.

-bill!