Re: SDL vs GGI

Ingo Ruhnke wrote:

> I think its dead, or at least I hope it will die. Svgalib is at the
> moment one of the easiest way to get a linux machine unusable,

I agree with this 100%.

> remember applications with root permission are evil.

People don't mind much about SUID applications (maybe they should, but
that's another story) as much as they do with crashed consoles. For
example, DGA applications being SUID isn't too bad, since it is only
used to get access to the framebuffer memory and nothing more (the
actual I/O programming is still done by the X server), much less risky.
Maybe in the future we could make DGA applications run without SUID if
fbcon is present (accessing the framebuffer memory thru /dev/fb0 instead
of /dev/mem)...

--
Pierre Phaneuf
Ludus Design, http://ludusdesign.com/