Re: SDL vs GGI

Ingo Ruhnke wrote:

> >> Short answer: you don't need root rights to run your programs. That way
> >> Quadra won't crash. :)
>
> > Sorry, that's if you have "real GGI". Here, all I got to work was the
> > Svgalib target. Crash crash.
>
> Its not GGI that crashes, its svgalib ;-)

Yes, but apply "user perspective" to that: it isn't GGI or Svgalib that
crashes for them, it's *Quadra* crashing their console. Two quotes from
the Quadra entry at happypenguin.org:

Ahh well was going to try it it but all it does is seg fault. *shrug*
Too bad next. I don't have time to fool with stuff like this. RH 5.2
Kernel 2.2.9 All updates applied. Quake and Quake II work like a champ
so this game is broke.

I'm not to stupid to configure the svgalib I have other svgalib things
and they are quite happy with the config. This one isn't so its broke.

(actually, they're both anonymous and I think they come from the same
person, but I got plenty of e-mail of people in the same "state of
mind")

> > And if the "real GGI" does the same mistake (because it is only a
> > package in the distribution and is not pampered at installation like the
> > X server is) and thinks my Matrox G200 is a Tseng card or some other
> > stuff like that, the same thing is probably going to happen. Crash
> > crash.
>
> No, no, no. If we speak over libggi than it will not crash your
> system, it will not detect your grafic card, etc. It is just a wrapper
> around other libs, like X,svgalib, fbdev or aalib (Yeah, that cool ;-).

By "real GGI", I meant libggi with the famous kernel support.

> I think lbGGI gives the user much much more flexibility than any X
> program can ever offer and it also requires much less work.
> For graphic only stuff GGI is IMHO the way to go, for games in general
> I would prefer a game sdk which sits ontop of GGI.

And I'm still not getting copy/paste out of it. :-(

--
Pierre Phaneuf
Ludus Design, http://ludusdesign.com/