Re: RFC - first batch of OGRE images

<snip>

> I propose we establish a board of various people to decide what definitions
> each ratings have, and I'm not just talking about people from this list. I
> mean people from commercial developers and publishers.
>
> Anyone agree with that?

a small board of volunteers would be nice, but with the sheer number of small
games, then add in the immense volume of indy 'commercial' games and big name
publishers, this is a massive massive job. Are you going to pick a bunch of
individuals, bean 'em with a baseball bat, stuff them in a potato sack, and drag
'em somewhere and only give 'em food if they've rated N games? (that was a joke,
put the baseball bat down.)

> If there's a consensus, I can get intouch with a few people (I deal with big
> names every day at work, so it wouldn't be hard to generate interest)

'big' names might only care about big titles. Suppose joe blow writes a small
simple game that issues explicative comments a ways into it, will a 'big name'
or busy person play it long enough to discover that or give it the 'good for
kindergardners' stamp right away? I'm sure big publishers would be interested
in using this kind of mechanism to protect themselves, but will they be willing
to invest (time, people, money, server space, 'official' support) in it if that
means supporting competition and games that don't go through their publishing
channels? Developers and parents would probly all jump on this idea, but I think
a project of this scale requires far more resources than parents and developers
can muster, thus my thought on making it a community involvement project.

> > that's all other stuff, tho, you're just looking for comment on the
> > pictures :) I think the picture are pretty good, are the edges alpha'd? I
> > think the edges/corners and shadow should be alpha'd so they look good on
> > any color webpage :)
>
> I'm not too sure on the images. They look a little sterile, and don't reflect
> the entertainment side of things. Maybe a picture of an Ogre in the
> background (yes, I'm going to milk the fact that I came up with the name, sue
> me)?

I like the simplicity of the icons. If it's goofy, it loses credibility. I'm sure
parents will take game ratings fairly seriously, so I think it should be presented
in a simple easy to read serious fashion :) Steves comments in another email about
the color choice are good observations about ease of understanding

> Nurgle

        -Erik <erik@smluc.org> [http://math.smsu.edu/~erik]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all probability,
they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore may result in
severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep Refrigerated.