Re: RFC - first batch of OGRE images

Mark Collins wrote:

> [...]

I really don't think so.  So long as a lot of people protested loudly, I think
most times the author would come into line.  After all, people who don't approve
of the entire concept of ratings would probably just ignore it anyway.

I suppose another possiblity is to have the web site support a list of
bad apples...but if people find that they can't trust the rating,
that may not help.

One thing I'd say to people using the ratings is that an 'M' rating
guarantees that the game is unsuitable for your 6 year old - but an
'E' rating doesn't guarantee that it *is* suitable - it only says that
it's worth your time to check it out.

I don't see what we can do about this issue.  Legal remedies for people
in foreign countries are impossible.  I don't know who (if any) of us
would be willing to spend the time and money to drag an infringer through
the US courts.  Also, with software being OpenSourced, the original author
may not be aware that level twelve of "Cuddles the Teddybear goes to
Cutesy-Cutesyland" has been patched to include a chainsaw murder/rape scene.

I think any kind of legal threat would be rather empty and might put off
well-meaning people from using the system.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net