Re: RFC - first batch of OGRE images

> The ratings mentioned above are the ratings used for movies, but the
> organisation which handles them, the British Board for Film Classification
> or something similar have been making moves towards games. They had a
> stand at ECTS with a propaganda movie trying to persuade everyone that
> they are the best people to rate games.

ANother eurpoean rating system is the ELSPA one. This is quite good, if not a
little vague. It consists of a 4 boxeson the back of the back shoing several
age ranges (3-10, 11-14, 15-17, 18+), and each box has a tick or a cross next
to it.

I'd say there was no confusion about what that represents, and maybe we
should consider something similar....

> On an international basis I think the UK scheme has some similar problems
> to the american one, in particular the problem that different cultures
> thing that different things are suitable for different ages.

You will run into problems with whatever ratings you use, as cultural
standards are different all over the world. To take an example, recently in
the UK there was a kick-ass comedy series shown about a group of Teachers.

Things it depicted the teachers doing: Sharing spliffs with students, sharing
spliffs with police officers, students having sex (well, that was implied,
but it was still there). I've had some contact with many US people, and
chances are, they would be outraged by such a show.

Here in the UK, however, it was so damned popular... (can't wait for the new
series)

> In the UK an 18 year old has the full rights of an adult, so 18 is the same
> as Adults Only.

Steve is actually English, so I expect he allready knows this...

> As I mentioned above, and I think in a previous mail, I think that
> assigning specific ages or age ranges to ratings is the wrong aproach for a
> global system. The ratings need to be descriptive enough to allow parents
> to make an informed decision.

Indeed.