Re: Blender & Cygwin

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003, Ingo Ruhnke wrote:

>Jan Ekholm <chakie@infa.abo.fi> writes:
>
>>>Yes, Blender interface may get you mad but consider that:
>>>
>>>1. GIMP is the same.
>>
>> No. The gimp has normal menus where you easily find the common operations.
>> Selections, copy, paste etc work as in other apps.
>
>Try a new Blender version, the interface is still pretty much the same
>as in the old days, but it has now standard menus that one can use to
>look up functions and keyboard shortcuts. The menus are neither always
>100% complete nor really intuitive to use, but they should help enough
>to get the job done.

Ok, I haven't tested it for a few years. I gave up on it a long time ago.

>> A total newbie can create a little texture in the Gimp with some
>> playing with the tools and tool options, all which are easy to find.
>
>Well, ask the newbie to draw a straight line or a circle... Gimps
>interface is enough to get the job done, but nothing more.

Fair enough. But that's about what my gfx 5kil1z can create, so it does
work well for me. Actually I do most of my gfx in xpaint. It has easy
pixel access and works well for sprites etc.

>> But definitely not designed to be _learned_ fast.
>
>As said above, its getting better, one can even use tooltips now and
>the scroll-wheel is also supported.

You make it sound like those inventions are bleeding edge UI stuff that's
just recently been added to Linux. :)

--

              Many an ancient lord's last words had been:
         "You can't kill me because I've got magic aaargh...."