Re: Centralized Linux announcements/news list?

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Roger Dingledine wrote:

> There are good points and bad points of each of these. Dave recommended
> that a mailing list to discuss them would be a good idea, so I think we
> should make one.
>
> Dave and scoop both offered to make the list, and seul would be
> willing to as well. I'm hesitant to put it on a news server, in
> case it becomes political later (ugh).

It doesn't matter where it's held - it's intended to be a short-life list,
to merely iron out the details of this, and decide if indeed we can all
work together to do this.

To get things going with minimal committee discussion, I've already
created our mailing list at threepoint.com.

linux-news-discuss-request@threepoint.com (subject: subscribe).

Nobody knows about the list except those of who received this message.
I invite all interested parties to subscribe and begin discussing our
ideas.

> But in any case, I should announce the list to people. Which people
> should I tell? Given that most of the people I initially mailed
> didn't get back to me, is it rude for me to mail them all again?
> (It would be just one more time, of course, and then there would be
> a mailing list that they could get on or not. I'd probably mostly bcc
> this time to save them the headers that they already know.) How much
> publicity do we really want on this yet? (until we have more of the
> details worked out, that is.)

That's a hard call to make.  Do we want 200 people on the mailing list,
many of whom intend to put no work into the effort?  Let's only contact
those who currently work with Linux News for now.  As we get some initial
plans laid out, we can make a public announcement.

Dave