[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]
[ANN] Mixminion 0.0.8alpha2
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Princess Dongle: "It's our kingdom's new strategy! We
monitor all citizens constantly to a detect insider
baddies! Isn't it wondersome?!
Sheriff Pony: Wondersome, yes... but could such a tactic
instill a sense of distrust and fear in a populace that
is overwhelmingly true and pious?
Princess Dongle: I think that the fact that we are not
currently under siege by unscrupulous minions speaks for
-- WIGU, 22 January 2004
Mixminion 0.0.8alpha2 is now available. If you have had any problems
with Mixminion 0.0.7.1, and you'd like to try a more recent version, you
should try this one out. If you tried the "0.0.8alpha1" that I
test-released earlier, this one has very minor changes.
NEW IN 0.0.8alpha:
- License changed from LGPL to the so-called "MIT" license. This has
been planned for ages; see
- Numerous bugfixes:
- Implement DESTDIR correctly.
- Do not crash when run with python 2.4
- Bump preferred openssl version to 0.9.8a
- Work when umask setting is bizarre (0077, 0000, etc.)
- Make -P and mbox work correctly together.
- Catch over-long paths.
- Tolerate missing /dev/null
- Solve crash on mixminion clean-queue
- Do not exit on a spurious protocol string from another MMTP host.
- Do not use stdio to read /dev/urandom: This wastes entropy.
- Security improvements
- Regenerate SSL certificates more frequently.
- Servers schedule and retry delivery on a per-address basis, not a
- Drop support for pre-0.0.6 servers: Servers are now located by
- Add a "count-packets" command to tell how many packets will be needed
to send a message. Some integrators need this.
- Add a "SendmailCommand" option for invoking an external program to send
email rather than simply connecting to an SMTP server.
- Write much of ClientAPI, so Mixminion is easier to embed -- having this
in a real release should make the Nymbaron team happy.
- Experimental pinger code, using pysqlite as a data store and
implementing the "Echolot" remailer reliability algorithm.
More work is needed.
- Partially implemented code for distributed coordinated voting directory
servers. Client side and data formats are done; glue remains.
- Recommended versions are no longer hard-coded.
- Refactor how we learn about servers and generate paths.
- Split out option-parsing logic to make option lists more consistent.
- Suppress prompt when reading messages from non-TTY fds.
- Implement --status-fd option to dump info to would-be integrators.
- Better errors on expired certs
(I haven't built Windows binaries for this yet; I'm hoping somebody else
can take over doing that. Any volunteers?)
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----