Re: More thoughts on From: lines

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Michael Gurski wrote:

> Are there differences in MIME encoding for different MUAs, or just the
> content boundary delimiters?  If it's the latter, I can see a
> demime/remime (or just straight re-write) that could happen at the
> last hop.  It's probably not solvable if it's the former, at least
> with existing MUAs.

We discussed this at the BoF. Conclusion: all MIME header creation and
canonicalization must be done at the sending end.

> My opinion would be "warn the users that attachments could compromise
> their anonymity".

Further, and this is a nit at this point: warn them, and allow them to
permanently disable the warning. We need to balance warning users of the
risks, with scaring them away from the system to instead use a less-secure
system which doesn't warn at all.

> I suspect that a determined user will find some way to attach data,
> even if the system officially disallows attachments. In the world
> today, I don't think most people would be willing to use a system
> where they couldn't use attachments of some sort.

Agreed.