Re: introduction and a question or two...

On Sun, 2003-11-23 at 21:10, Douglas F. Calvert wrote:
 [...]
> I will try and do that this weekend over thanksgiving break. Is their
> any preference for what directory is used for the default directory?

I don't have such a preference myself, but others do.  Personally, I'd
suggest you do what seems best to you rather than taking a straw poll:
trying to find the One True Filesystem Layout is prone to generate more
noise than light.

(0.0.6 will probably make file locations even more configurable, for
people who want to put their keys in location A, their queues in
location B, and their pidfiles in location C.)

> Should i mail the list when I have entries in the log file about servers
> that can not be connected to? Or do you let these go for a while?

For the most part, those entries fall into two categories:
   - Temporary outages: the server is unreachable for a while, but comes
back online.  When it does, all pending messages are delivered.  This is
nothing to worry about.
   - Dead servers: These are caught by the directory server, and marked
as 'not recommended' in the directory.  (Run 'mixminion list-servers'
for a list.)   The long-dead servers are currently: cf, frell, and
sushi.  They still appear in the directory because their current server
descriptors don't expire until 11/28, 12/11, and 12/18 respectively.
The only reason that you're seeing messages sent to these servers is
that the pingers are still generating them. This is still nothing to
worry about.

On the other hand, a third category is *possible*, but has not yet been
observed: a server might be consistently broken for you, but not appear
as broken on the directory.  The directory updates daily; if you can't
connect to a server _at all_ for a couple of days, and it doesn't appear
as 'not recommended' on the directory, then it'd be worthwhile to mail
the list and find out what's up.

Hope this helps,
--
Nick