Re: begginer at Tor

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 10:57:18AM -0300, alexyz@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I am playing around with the configuration of exit policies. If I change them, how do I get Tor to recognize the changes (or any
> other change in the torrc file)? Do I have to quit and restart (and thus break existing connections)?

Yes.

> I´ve seen something on the manual relative to SIGNALS. What are these for and how do I use them?

On *nix you send a signal with the "kill" command, no idea how that
works under Windows.

> Logging. Since this project is still in the alpha phase I believe you would appreciate reports of weird behaviour. How do I recognize
> these, what are you guys interested in? What level of logging should I start with?

The most useful logs are created with Debug.

> Security. Since running Tor server, the number of portscans I get has increased dramatically. I use Norton Firewall (and also Anti-
> Virus) so they don´t go any further. But I just started wondering if I should take extra precautions because now I run a server.
> What do you think about extra precautions and what might those be?

If you're running 2000 or XP I would recommend that you look up how
Group Policy Objects and that sort of thing works for some basic
hardening.

The NSA has some good guides at
http://www.nsa.gov/snac/downloads_os.cfm?MenuID=scg10.3.1.1

And as always: