Re: performance tuning...

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 08:35:30PM -0400, Jonathan D. Proulx wrote:
> I am running  0.1.0.3-rc and it has greatly decreased CPU utilization,
> though it doesn't seem to have increased "bandwidth-observed", this in
> retrospect is why I brought up the question.  My thought being perhaps there
> was something in the TCP stack that was bottle necking.

No, I think the limit you're running into is that there isn't much more
traffic that needs to be carried.

Part of this is because clients load-balance their circuits over the
various servers based on advertised bandwidth, but if a server claims
to have more than 800 kB (as of 0.0.9.3, or 1000 kB as of 0.0.9.4),
then it caps it at that level. I've just changed cvs so 0.1.0.4-rc and
later will believe you if you claim as much as 2000 kB, so this means
high bandwidth servers will be able to attract more use. (The tradeoff
is that I don't want somebody to advertise an incredibly huge bandwidth
and attract most of the circuits -- so I'm slowly raising the cap as
the overall network capacity grows.)

> In the barest terms my CPU runs about 50% idle and my pipes aren't nearly
> full seems like it could be doing more work. Perhaps I've done all I can do.
> I already have NumCpus set to 2, perhaps increasing it will help...

Well, you could always run spoon2 on the same machine. :)

(If you do, please set the MyFamily torrc directive.)

Thanks,
--Roger