Re: Weird behavior of my server

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 03:49:58PM +0200, Landorin wrote:

> the documentation, "BandwidthRate" only limits the incoming traffic so
> apparently I can't limit the upload bandwith for the server (?) (FAQ

True, although I've been able to have some limited success by reducing
MaxConn as well.

> servers first and only relying on the slower ones if necessary. But
> then I thought "browsing with TOR is significantly slower, that might
> or might not mean there is are more users than bandwith available". In
> case that's true, then TOR would have to use my server for routing,
> too. Apparently, this might not be the case.

AFAICT, this isn't really how Tor works. Maybe the developers will chime
in, but speed has a lot more to do with latency between nodes and
bandwidth consumption on the exit servers than anything else.

Last I checked, there were only about 35 exit servers in the network. No
matter how many middleman routers there are, all that traffic still gets
funnelled through the same exit servers, so while there's a net gain in
*privacy* by distributing the load among more middlemen, there's no net
gain in traffic speed.

--
Re-Interpreting Historic Miracles with SED #141: %s/water/wine/g