Re: [tor-talk] Restarting Firefox

On 4/16/2012 12:58 PM, AK wrote:
I think this should work:

1) Remove the lines:

BrowserDirectory=.
BrowserExecutable=firefox

from Data/Vidalia/vidalia.conf

2) Add the line

SocksPort 9050

to Data/Tor/torrc

3)./App/Firefox/firefox -P no-remote

and create and run a new profile with Data/profile as the directory

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Joseph Lorenzo Hall<joehall@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Andrew Lewman<andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
For some reason on linux, when closing firefox, it doesn't kill
vidalia. On osx and windows, closing firefox correctly closes vidalia.
Just a correction: On OS X 10.6.8 Vidalia remains open when I quite
the TBB FireFox. best, Joe

Thanks for the hack to try & run Tor / Vidalia w/o keeping Tor browser open. Don't know in it'll work for Win, but may try it.

Note: this subject of being able to close the browser from TBB & not automatically close Tor, was discussed at length a few months ago, on the list. Mike Perry weighed in & seemed to think was a good idea, but haven't seen anything mentioned since. I think a great many users would have a need to keep Tor running in background, but don't want to constantly have the browser running (or don't have enough memory, want to clear the browser, etc.).

What do others think about an option to close the browser w/o automatically closing Tor / Vidalia, so some apps & other uses could still run under Tor? They've stressed that the "safest" thing for most users now is to * use the TBB, * but that's locked users into always having the browser open.