Re: [tor-talk] NSA supercomputer

I saw a lecture a while back, I think it was given by Whitfield Diffie of
public/ private  key fame although it was quite a while ago... , The
speaker said that the gov was storing encrypted messages that have been
intercepted from critical sources in hopes that quantum computing will
allow them to crack the encryptions eventually.

Basically he said that with quantum computing all bets are off and every
cipher today will likely be cracked. Quantum computing will require new
kinds of ciphers and only those with Qcomputers will be able to decrypt the
messages.

So a new class of people / government will emerge.   One class will be able
to decrypt or crack all messages sent with encryption.  And the other class
of people, those without Qcomputers, will only be able to decrypt ciphers
that they can encrypt.     One class can only view messages they create,
the other class can see everything.

I am guessing that the cost of Qcomputer technology will keep these
machines out of the hands of Joe public for decades to come...?