Re: [tor-talk] Tor Summer of Privacy

On Mon, Apr 06, 2015 at 07:53:55PM -0300, Juan wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Apr 2015 14:35:40 +1000
> Zenaan Harkness <zen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On 4/6/15, Juan <juan.g71@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > On Mon, 6 Apr 2015 12:51:31 +1000
> > > Zenaan Harkness <zen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > Well, I haven't read a lot, but I think there was this history of TOR
> > where a couple of blokes did what made most sense to them at the time,
> > and the government (I would attribute "opportunistically") chose to
> > fund that.
>

> 	http://www.onion-router.net/History.html
>
> 	"1995: Initial work on Onion Routing begins, funded by ONR."
>
> 	I'm guessing 'ONR' is this http://www.onr.navy.mil/

*sigh* If you're going to commit ad hominems and fallacies of division
at least try to be competent about it. You shouldn't be focused on
mere funding (and anyway you missed that we started DARPA funding in
1996); Those couple of blokes in 1995 were myself and other
U.S. govt. employees (Naval Research Laboratory). We didn't hire any
contractors till 1997 and not Roger and Nick (with whom I did the
initial Tor design) until 2001 or 2002.

More details on the history at
https://www.acsac.org/2011/program/keynotes/

> 	I mean we don't need to repeat yet again that tor is a
> 	project of the US military. As such it doesn't make
> 	sense for it to be 'decentralized'.

For the technical reasons behind the degree and nature of centralization
and decentralization, see the above paper and the Tor design paper.
Also note that ironically the first few major design
versions made purely by govt. employees were actually more
decentralized. E.g. see the above paper, also
http://www.onion-router.net/Archives/TNG.html
It was only when we moved to the Tor design, that we moved to being
a bit less P2P with directory authorities.

For more technical arguments why this is in practice more secure than
other designs known at the time see
 http://freehaven.net/anonbib/#danezis-pet2008 and
 http://freehaven.net/anonbib/#entropist

But by all means please continue justifying everything you say based
on what you tenaciously are sure some large organizations must intend
rather than the technical design reasons that have been published and
publically vetted by the best scientific and technical researchers on
the planet from the most respected advanced institutions in every
country. What could they possibly add to the truly dizzying intellect
manifest in your arguments to date?

Apologies to others for failing to resist feeding the troll. Guess I'm
tired.  Here's a little ad hominem of my own: Moritz started it.

aloha,
Paul