IRC zombie controllers

On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 18:30 -0600, Richard Johnson wrote:
> At 09:34 -0700 on 2005-08-29, Chris Palmer wrote:
> > Richard Johnson writes:
> >> But the controllers of those bots often will try to use tor.
> >
> > Do you have any evidence for this? I have assumed it was possible and
> > that some people might do it, but have you actually seen it happen?

Gibson Research, home of Shields Up, has an excellent description
of IRCbots and his story of chasing one of them down:

http://www.grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm

Look down in the middle once Steve gets his hands on a zombie
and finds them using IRC to "check in" with their operator
and wait for commands.

Enjoy, its a classic but great reading none-the-less...
and using TOR to mask IRC would REALLY make zombie nets
like this easy to control.
--
Exile In Paradise
Go away, I'm all right.