Re: frequent empty/closed connections

Scott Bennett <bennett@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>      On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 09:21:53 -0400 The Doctor <drwho@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >Scott Bennett wrote:
> >
> >> Empty server or forwarder response.
> >> The connection has been closed but Privoxy didn't receive any data.
> >>      Does anyone else get these, too?  I suspect that the problem may be in
> >> privoxy, rather than tor, but haven't yet figured out a test for that
> >> hypothesis.  Any ideas?

If the keep-alive-timeout directive is used, Privoxy versions before
3.0.14 beta don't take the latency into account and may try to reuse
a connection that has already been closed on the server side but still
appears to be open from the point of view of the client.

The result is the error message you mention above.

> >I've been seeing this behavior off and on for a few months now, but not
> >so often that I felt like tracking it down.  Generally, I just reload
> >the page and everything's fine.
> >
>      Sometimes it takes several reload attempts to get it to work, though.
> It also thoroughly bollixes automatically refreshed pages like the small
> GOES East images I like to keep handy and updated to most recent half hour.
> Any other automated accesses, such as through curl, wget, et al. are also
> screwed when it happens.
>      If someone has an idea of how to prove that the problem is in privoxy
> and not in tor, I can try to file a bug report there.

To really prove anything, you'd have to watch the server
side as well, without that you can still make assumptions,
though.

If you enable connection debugging in Privoxy, you can tell
from the log messages whether or not the problem happened
while reusing a connections.

If it only happens while reusing a connection it likely
is a Privoxy problem. Otherwise it most likely isn't.

If the problem goes away after disabling the keep-alive-timeout
directive, and reappears right after enabling it again, that
would indicate a Privoxy problem as well.

If you report a problem for Privoxy 3.0.12, the first response
will be "Please try to reproduce it with 3.0.14 beta", so you
probably want to upgrade before looking into this.

A FreeBSD port skeleton is available on the SF project page.

Fabian