Re: Comcast throws down gauntlet to residential accounts

On Monday 10 August 2009 02:55:13 pm Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Scott Bennett<bennett@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > business-class service, but it seems unlikely to be any cheaper.
> >  Verizon's residential service does not currently have a cap, but I don't
> > know whether they prohibit listening on ports accessable from the
> > Internet.
>
> VZN's residential AUP prohibits "servers" along with a number of other
> offensive prohibitions which they don't currently enforce. (For
> example, you're prohibited from using your VZN broadband for anything
> "sexually explicit").
>
> As I recall the business FiOS AUP had it's own set of ridiculous
> terms... but it didn't attempt to prohibit you from running "servers".

AUPs are rarely enforced.  They are there so they can cut you off if/when
someone complains or you do something to annoy them.

In any case, I would run my servers regardless of their AUP.  NO ONE tells me
I cannot run sshd or any other of what I consider personally critical apps.
They also don't get to tell me not to run a tor relay.

--
“We can have a democratic society or we can have the concentration of great
wealth in the hands of the few. We cannot have both.”