Re: [tor-talk] Using Raspberry Pi as Tor relay is bad idea??

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 01:57:49 +0900
Tom Tom <gihoong7@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  I recently heard that Raspberry Pi could be used as various server, so I'd
> like to buy and use Raspberry Pi as tor relay.

Make sure you get the Raspberry Pi version 3. It is much more powerful than
previous ones, especially than the first.

> 1. Comparing normal pc and RPi as Tor relay, there are no performance
> differ?

Yes it is slower than a normal PC, but it could be enough for a relay,
depending on the speed of your internet connection. How fast it is? Roughly,
with a Pi you should be fine at least up to 20 Mbit or more (do you have 20
Mbit upload with your ISP?)

> 2. Using RPi as Tor relay could (positively or negatively) effect the whole
> network?

It will not negatively affect the network in any case.

> 3. Using RPi as Tor relay is bad idea?

It can be an OK idea, many people run those and have no issues.

--
With respect,
Roman